Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The 17th House District

This past Saturday, Del. William Fralin announced that he will not be a candidate for re-election to the Virginia House of Delegates this upcoming election. And as one might expect, jockeying for position began in earnest almost immediately. There are a lot of good folks out there who are considering runs for this seat, including many of my fellow Democratic colleagues.

I continue to be asked about my interest in running for Del. Fralin's seat, so I thought it appropriate to post on my blog to be clear in response to the inquiries: I will not be a candidate for the nomination of my party for the 17th House district.

I am flattered by the encouragement that I have received. It's humbling to have people suggest that I could do a good job representing the 17th in Richmond, but now is simply not the right time for me personally or professionally.

First, Brooke and I, within the next three weeks, are expecting our first child. I want to be around as much as possible to experience and get used to fatherhood and the many wonderful things it will bring to my life. And I want to continue to spend as much time with my wife as she will allow! Undertaking what will certainly be a challenging campaign is something I am not willing to take time to do right now.

The second reason I will not be a candidate is because I feel a responsibility to the citizens that elected me to Roanoke City Council to help as we work through what can be described as nothing less than a fiscal crisis. We are in the midst of trying to figure out how to balance the City's budget while avoiding harm to our schools and other major services. Personally, and I only apply this to me, I am not ready to turn from this task and believe that I have a responsibility to continue working hard on the many issues affecting our citizens. We have a bright future ahead of us, and again, the time necessary on the campaign trail is more than I am willing to commit at this time and in the midst of preparing the City's FY2010 budget.

I certainly wish whomever decides to enter the race the very best of luck and will look forward to hearing issues that affect our City and region discussed during this campaign season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Court,
As usual, you think and consider things from lots of angles before making a decision. The City of Roanoke is lucky to have you. As I mentioned when you ran for office, I had never gave to a candidate for public office until you and my 'national' politics don't really align with yours but I do trust you to make honest and reasoned decisions.
John N.